Pinner Police station was built in 1899 by Fassnidge & Sons of Uxbridge. Prior to this there were police officers stationed in Pinner.
The first Station Sergeant was John Moore, who lived upstairs in the new station with his wife, Kate and their three sons. He retired after 25 years service in 1903.
The station had cells to detain prisoners and they are still there although not used for that purpose now.
The first occupant of the cells was a Charles Wilkson who was arrested at Headstone races for pick pocketing in 1899.
Acknowledgement : Neil Watson, sometime Constable at Pinner, kindly supplied the photographs and narrative
The first post office opened in Pinner during the 1820s and occupied at least four shops in the High Street before moving to the one above, 23 High Street,now Bishops Walk, in 1903. Pinner’s first telephone exchange was established there at the same time. Both were at 16 High Street, now incorporating Barters Walk, from 1910 to 1932, when a purpose-built post office was erected in Bridge Street and a purpose-built exchange was erected in Marsh Road.
See also: The Telephone in Pinner, by D Perry, and The Post Offices of Pinner, by P Clarke, both in The Pinn, No. 2 (PLHS 1986).
The Cocoa Tree Coffee Tavern was built as a temperance coffee room in 1878 by William Barber of Pinner. It quickly became popular with day visitors and pleasure grounds were added nearby. It was also used as a meeting place for local organisations, evening entertainments and dancing classes. It later served as premises for the Conservative Club in Pinner and is currently used as an office.
See also: Pinner in the Vale, by E M Ware (1955)