This section of the website contains pictures of Pinner in the past.
Pinner fair in the early 1900s2021-11-30 16:33:10
Pinner Fair was granted by King Edward III in 1336 and still takes place each year. Here is one in Edwardian times, pictured at the junction of Bridge Street and Chapel Lane - there is a brief glimpse of the railway embankment and its trees between the houses at the right. Every building visible has since disappeared. A couple of stalls at the right look as though they are selling things. Just beyond the roundabout at the left are swing-boats and it is surprising how the skirts of the two swinging ladies are nevertheless decorously still in place, and their hats quite undisturbed
Headstone Manor2021-11-30 16:32:01
Headstone Manor House, he oldest residence in Middlesex, and the only one surrounded by a water-filled moat, was built about 1310-1320 at the centre of a large estate. In 1344 it was acquired by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was also Lord of the Manor of Harrow, to become his Middlesex residence. Half of the building standing today is of that time, roughly the part to the right of the big chimney stack. The left-hand part was added in Elizabethan times, well after the Archbishops had ceased to own Harrow, and it was extended at the rear in the 17th century. More enlargements came in the 18th century about the time when much of the original was demolished, and the facade was replaced in brick. After the Archbishops’ time it had continued as a farmhouse, and survived as such until the mid 1920s, when the remnant of the lands became a recreation ground. Today, fully restored under the aegis of Harrow Council, it houses the Harrow Museum and Heritage Centre.
The old Rayners Lane2021-11-30 16:24:27
This was the view from Rayners Lane Station towards Pinner one winter-time before 1920. Rayners Lane itself is rutted, muddy and full of puddles. In the right-hand distance, between the trees, is the pair of farmworkers’ cottages where the Rayner family had lived during the 19th century. Pinner is a mile beyond them. The lane has existed since medieval times as the way linking Pinner with Roxeth, which is now called South Harrow, and had no specific name. It crossed three brooks, the Yeading Brook, Smarts Brook, and the Roxbourne. The upward slope in the foreground was made to carry the lane across the railway lines serving Rayners Lane Station, which was opened in 1904.