Rota the Lion
Pinner had it’s own lion in the late 1930’s.
George Thompson, a Pinner resident, kept Rota in his back garden in a purpose built cage. Rota’s presence was know not only by local publicity but by him roaring!
He did cause some concern to neighbors but never escaped.
George acquired him purportedly as a result of a bet when Rota was still a cub. He was named Rota and his owner was a director of the firm Roatary.
With the onset of World War 2 he presented difficulty to his owner with the onset of rationing, as insufficient meat was available, So George donated him to the Zoological Society who have an excellent painted portrait of him.
There is a film clip of Rota, Click Here